Alcohol Rehab 101: What You Need To Know
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE AN ALCOHOLIC?
An alcoholic person suffers from an addiction to alcohol. It is therefore a dependence on this substance which leads to a dangerous loss of control. Alcohol dependence defines “any conduct of alcoholism characterized by the loss of control of consumption”. It affects about 140 million people in world.
The alcoholism is characterized by gradually increasing need to increase its consumption, withdrawal symptoms if taken to stop the substance and any pathology to that excess. Indeed, alcohol dependence is the cause of a series of physical, mental and social disorders, because the individual isolates himself / herself / itself often from the society.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
Alcoholism will cause various disorders depending on whether it is recent or old and according to the amount of alcohol ingested. In the short term, alcoholism can lead to pathologies such as ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux, hepatitis, nausea and vomiting. In the medium and long term, alcohol dependence leads to neurological pathologies, severe liver disease, ethyl cirrhosis, pancreatitis, cardiac problems and libido disorders. In addition, alcohol significantly increases the risk of fatal road accidents.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF ALCOHOLISM?
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), close to 90,000 people die in from alcohol-related causes yearly, making it the fourth largest preventable cause of death in the U.S.
Excessive and prolonged drinking can cause serious physical and mental problems. Sometimes alcohol is the direct cause of it, sometimes it acts indirectly or aggravates the affections.
In an environment where alcohol is easy to obtain and where to drink a lot is considered normal, one will also tend to be more likely to be focused on the drink. Friends and advertising can also exert influence. Relational problems can make you drink. Fulfilling work or volunteering give meaning to life and protect against alcohol abuse. In addition, physical and psychological problems, excessive alcohol consumption also involves social risks. For example: relational problems, legal problems, problems at work and financial problems.
The risk of alcoholism increases if one or both parents consume alcohol or other drugs. Similarly, abuse and sexual abuse increase the risk of alcohol dependence.However, people with risk factors do not all become alcoholics, and conversely, people without risk factors may also become addicted to alcohol.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DRINK ALCOHOL?
Alcohol is a psychoactive product, that is, it acts on the functioning of the brain: it modifies consciousness and perceptions, and thus the feelings and behaviors. Immediate effects depend mainly on alcohol.
Consumed in low doses, the alcohol provides a feeling of relaxation, euphoria, even excitement. It disinhibits and helps to get rid of its shyness. It releases speech and helps to let go. Reflexes begin to diminish.
Consumed at higher doses, alcohol causes drunkenness. It results in poor coordination of movements, disturbed speech, decreased reflexes and alertness, drowsiness, etc. Alcohol consumption can also result in memory loss up to the black hole. At very high doses, drowsiness can go as far as ethyl coma. It is a medical emergency. Without care, it can cause death.
Beyond its immediate effects, consumed frequently, alcohol has long-term health consequences.
IN THE LONG TERM, DOES ALCOHOL AFFECT THE BRAIN?
Regular and excessive consumption of alcohol may be responsible for attention, concentration, memory, abstraction and executive functions.
Korsakoff ‘s syndrome is an even more serious complication of chronic alcohol intoxication: this brain disease is characterized by a massive and irreversible alteration of memory, a tendency to fudge to compensate for memory loss, Mood, and so on.
The toxic effects of alcohol on the brain can be demonstrated by medical imaging, a decrease in the gray matter has been observed in alcohol-dependent people. The earlier alcohol consumption began at an earlier age and the greater the alteration of the gray matter.
WHAT IS ALCOHOL REHAB?
Rehab (short for rehabilitation), refers to recovery alcohol and has the primary purpose of allowing a person to regain his or her previous abilities from drug or alcohol and to minimize possible physical, psychological and social harm. drug and alcohol treatment center offer both Inpatient and Outpatient services but by far the most effective method to overcome alcoholism is to participate in substance abuse treatment programs in inpatient alcohol treatment centers.
The initial step at an inpatient alcohol rehab center is regularly therapeutic detox, which can last around 3 days to 2 weeks. Substantial drinkers are probably going to have turned out to be physiologically dependent on alcohol, which means they require proficient medicinal help while freeing their assemblage of it. Without organized help, detox side effects can be anguishing and dangerous. inpatient alcohol rehab treatment centers are very much prepared to help oversee and keep individuals protected and comfortable as they undergo detox and withdrawal.
You may have a combination of individual and group therapy depending on the rehab facility and program. In individual treatment, you meet with an authorized emotional wellness proficient who can guide you through the steps to better understand your circumstance and how to recoup. This, together with peer-based group treatment, which is seen as one of the best treatment alcohol addiction.
Group therapy is a method of treating psychic disorders that can manifest itself in a person’s relationships with his / her family, social or professional environment. Psychological disorders have repercussions on relationships with others.
When it has been difficult to find its place, and assert itself in the environment, it can gradually become isolated, linked to a feeling of exclusion. This isolation can aggravate the psychological disorders of which a person is affected. Group therapy are often a source of discomfort. Group therapies should help to better live this situation.
It is by confronting each other with the difficulties of the relationship with the other that we can understand what is at stake in this relationship.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM AN ALCOHOL REHAB
Before you join any alcohol rehab around you, you should make sure you into certain aspects that the alcohol rehab ought to have. On the off chance that somebody in your family is dependent on alcohol and you are searching for a decent alcohol rehab, at that point, ensure you understand what you ought to expect from a decent alcohol rehab. Various alcohol rehabs will have distinctive kind of treatments and subsequently you can’t sum up the format of alcohol rehab by going to only maybe a couple alcohol rehab.
Below are some point that will help you with regards to choosing a decent rehab program:
- Ensure that the program is appropriate for the needs of the patient. Try read all the likely info and facts about the rehab on their official site. All the essential perspectives about the treatment center will be specified on the sites and consequently do read them painstakingly.
- Similarly, the detox facility given by the alcohol rehab ought to be checked appropriately. Most them don’t have detox program while few have it and consequently ensure the alcohol rehab you are picking has it or not.
- The rehab center ought to as well have the capacity to offer the patient a legitimate aftercare. The aftercare program is essential as the main treatment and hence it mustn’t be disregarded.
- Make sure you also do a check on all the facilities offered at the rehab. The nursing care is one thing you have to lookout for. Know the kind of care given at the rehab if it is 24hour care or not.
TIPS TO STAY SOBER AND AVOID SETBACKS
- Nothing allows you to drink faster: no coffee, no walk or cold shower. It’s up to your liver to do the job, and there’s no way to squeeze it.
- Drinking or driving, you must choose: alcohol acts on your brain and slows down your reaction time, even after a single drink. If you have to travel, choose an “evening captain”, that is, a driver who will not drink or contribute to a taxi. If you are alone, plan to sleep on site!
- Do not drink if you do not have the morale: alcohol is a depressant and you will feel even worse when you get unwell.
- Never drink the empty stomach: always eat before going out, it will slow down the absorption of alcohol by your body.
- Beware of bubbles: the effect of gaseous alcoholic preparations is felt more quickly because carbon dioxide accelerates the absorption process. In addition, these drinks, such as premix, often contain more sugar, which hides the strong taste of alcohol. Even if you do not feel it, you drink alcohol.
- Do not mix drugs and alcohol: this explosive cocktail can have disastrous effects on your health.
- Vary the pleasures: drink at least one glass of fruit juice or water for each glass of alcohol consumed.
A BRIGHTER FUTURE
Drinking issues don’t leave all alone, and being a heavy drinker can be debilitating. For a large portion of those influenced, their day to day life can turn out to be a battle, frequently activating depressive scenes, nervousness and at times even self-destructive thoughts. Alcohol addiction quite often hurts one’s physical well being, as well as one’s vocation, cozy connections, and future.
Alcohol rehab is an opportunity to turn your life around. On the off chance that you or somebody you cherish needs assistance, know that you’re not the only one. Millions have been through a similar battle and turned out the opposite side. With the correct help and care, you are completely fit to live a healthy, good, and meaningful life.
The sooner you or a friend or family member can get help, the better.